Thursday, October 11, 2012

Loud Noises

Last night around 9 our Carbon Monoxide detector went off.  It sounds something like:

SCREECH!!! SCREECH!!! 
CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTED!!!

 SCREECH!!! SCREECH!!!

Scares the poop out of you.  Obviously this is not something that you want to hear in your house.  We grabbed the kid and took him to the car and turned on The Lorax (aka Kid Crack), told the neighbors since we live in a duplex and waited for the fire department to get here. 

For the record, we did take the dogs outside too.  They thought we were going somewhere great until they realized they were just stuck in a car with a two and three year old.  Could be worse, dogs.

One fireman came in a pick up truck. Not even one flashing light.  Way less exciting than we thought that was going to be.  Our house was deemed safe, whew.  

Fyi: A normal house has a CO level of 0-5ppm.  Our house had a 2 and that was near the dryer.  A CO detector is not supposed to go off until about 400ppm. At that point, people would be feeling very sick, condensation on the walls, etc. 

So, I called the landlord.  He's bringing us new detectors since the fireman told me that we probably needed to get some new ones.  Ours were form 2008. I'm kind of shocked they go that fast. 

My anxiety got the best of me.  We went and grabbed a CO detector from the store so that we could sleep in peace.  Too bad that didn't really help my anxiety.  I kept checking on the kid, kept telling my husband how I was so dizzy (um, if you breathe, you don't get dizzy).  He made me take an Ativan.  I passed out. 

My husband is awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment